Return To Home Page
October 23, 2003
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - Preview
Release Date Publisher Developer Anticipation Players Price
5/12/2003AtariBlack Ops1$99.95

Click To  Enlarge Image
Nooo... Arnie can't get hurt!
As many of you know I'm a massive Arnie fan. Have been since the mid 1980's when I first discovered that action movies contain a lot more gore on video then on TV. One of the most exciting events for me during 2003, besides my marriage, was the release of Terminator 3 at the cinemas. If you haven't seen the movie don't worry I won't spoil it for you, but it was simply fantastic. To put it bluntly I thought that the car chase scene blew away the efforts in The Matrix Reloaded's car chase scene. If you haven't seen the movie then I urge you to buy the DVD when it's released on December 3 in Australia. But this preview is for the game based on the move, and there is certainly plenty of exciting, features.

Click To  Enlarge Image
The classic Terminator view.
The Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines videogame storyline will weave in and out of the movie script as players face enemies from the present in which the War of the Machines looms on the horizon, to the apocalyptic future where the War itself is waged on all fronts. While following the feature film's plot closely, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines will go one step further by providing fans of the Terminator series with a deeper look into the movie's universe and the role of the Terminator, a futuristic fighting machine reprogrammed to save humanity from the SkyNet holocaust.

This game takes place on military bases, in laboratories as well as downtown Los Angeles among more than 20 unique locations found in the game, all of which have been taken straight from the current Terminator timeline of events. Naturally the firepower plays a major part in any Terminator movie, and game, with more than 20 futuristic and modern-day weapons will be at the players disposal for use in terminating any enemy in the most efficient manner possible, including the SkyNet Arc-Laser, Tech-Com Micro Rocket Launcher and the AR-15 Assault Rifle with M202 Grenade Launcher. Let's hope they don't screw up the theory that you can't transmit weapons through time.

Click To  Enlarge Image
In the cemetory.
You will also engage in true movie-like Terminator combat as they repeatedly face the ultimate killing machine, the T-X played by Kristanna Loken in the movie, throughout the single-player game. Smashing opponents into walls, massive two-handed chops and crushing kicks are just a few of the dozens of moves in the Terminator's arsenal.

A unique twist in the Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines story will also allow players to operate the Terminator before it was reprogrammed in the future to save John Connor. As a result, players will be able to test their terminating skills against battle-hardened Tech Com special forces from the future. This should hopefully be one of the highlights of the game and offer a glimpse of the future rarely seen in the movies.

Click To  Enlarge Image
That's a pretty good likeness.
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines will feature exclusive film footage created specifically for the release of the videogame, and not available in the motion picture. Filmed by director Jonathan Mostow, this 5-minute segment features Arnold Schwarzenegger and sheds new light on the mythology behind the origins of the Terminator. In addition, footage from the feature film is also used liberally throughout the game to set up key situations and story-related game elements. In fact the game developers have used many of the resources from the filmmakers as possible to ensure authenticity.

A first-person action game currently in development for all major console gaming platforms, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines will -- for the first time on next-generation console systems -- allow players to become the Terminator Series signature icon, Arnold Schwarzenegger as the original Terminator. This marks the first time Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice and likeness has ever appeared in a home videogame.

Click To  Enlarge Image
Inside the Skynet labs.
Will this game be good? The word from E3 show in May was a little worrying, that the action was a little stiff, particulary in the hand to hand combat. Since that time, however, little has been seen or heard from the game since then as Black Ops try to complete this title. The good news is that the developers have worked on impressive titles including Knockout Kings 2001 as well as the upcoming Fugitive Hunter and X-Files Resist or Serve which both look solid. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is one game that Arnie fans simply can't ignore, and action fans will likely get a kick out of as well. Expect a release in late December.