2007 E3 SHOW COVERAGE
Welcome to the Futuregamez.net E3 coverage for 2007. This years show is going to be vastly different then previous years, if only because the event has been massively scaled down with much stricter conditions for entry. Indeed the number of visitors is expected to be around 5,000 people - down from over 60,000 in 2006. Some developers and publishers are also opting out this year including heavyweights such as Tecmo. But there will be plenty to see and do and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be some major announcements. We've already seen the PS3 price cut in America down from $US599 to $US499 and the introduction of an 80GB version with Motorstorm bundled in as well.
THURSDAY JULY 12, 2007
|The European PS3 Starter Pack.|
Sony Europe has confirmed that there will not be a price cut for the Playstation 3 in that territory. It's not all bad though with an impressive 'Starter Pack' being put together. Not only will gamers now receive a 60GB PS3, but also a second Sixaxis controller, and copies of Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man for £425 or €599 - the same price as the stand alone system. The pack will be available in all territories - and we believe Australia - by August 1st.
THURSDAY JULY 12, 2007
Sony have completed their PS3 Conference, and we can honestly say we were impressed - there were some good announcements for PSP and PS3. Here are the highlights:
- Home was a centerpiece of the event with Sony promoting the upcoming service and demoing the latest build with some new locations, the ability to publish photos from Home to a social networking site, and launch games from within Home.
- Re-iteration that the 80GB PS3 will be released with Motorstorm for $US599.
- Confirmation that the PS3 has sold 118 million units, and will sell a further 10 million in 2007.
- 9 million PSP sales target, 140 titles coming out this fiscal year.
- New PSP will be released worldwide this September. It's is about 33% lighter and 19% slimmer then the previous verison, with faster UMD loading, and AV out so you can connect to a TV etc. Having said that it looks quite similar with the same screens size and button layout.
- America will get a PSP Entertainment Pack which includes Daxter, a 1GB Memory Stick, and The Family Guy UMD for $US199.
- A second PSP pack which includes Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron and which PSP with Darth Vader head logo will be released later in the year, also for $US199.
- Back on PS3 80 first party games are in development worldwide, over 200 Blu-Ray based games will be available this year.
- New downloadble game from Sonys Japan Studio called EchoChrome.
- Downloadable Wipeout HD is confirmed and will run at 1080p. Pain and Warhawk are also shown.
- Haze will be on PS3 this year, and no where else!
- Unreal Tournament 3 will be a timed exclusive on the PS3. You will be able to put mods made on a PC onto the Playstation Network.
- Resident Evil 5 trailer was shown for PS3 - certainly not a XBox 360 exclusive as some suggested after Microsoft's conference.
- Metal Gear Solid 4 new trailer is shown, the game is still a PS3 exclusive title. Worldwide launch in Spring 2008 (that's Autumn in Australia). Not playable at E3, but will be on July 17th in Tokyo at the PlayStation Premiere Event.
- New game from Sucker Punch called Infamous. Quite different to Sly Cooper, due on PS3 in 2008.
- Many other previously announced PS3 exclusive titles are shown including (but not limited to) Folklore, SingStar, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction.
Killzone 2 ended Sony's conference with a bang. Simply stunning.
WEDNESDAY JULY 11, 2007
Microsoft have held their Presentation at the E3 show and it was, ermm, meh. There was no price cut announced, no new exclusive title from third parties (Splinter Cell Conviction had previously been announced as a 360 exclusive before you ask!), no handheld XBox and there was no mention that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. There were a few bits of interest though. Disney will be providing downloadable HD movie content which is nice (although I would still rather hold a Blu-Ray disc), Gears of War was announced for the PS3 (oh, no wait, I mean Windows! - got you there!), the XBox 360 Elite will be released in Europe on August 24, and Scene It? will be released on XBox 360 with new "Buzz"-like (although Microsoft didn't call them that) controllers.
One thing that some people have picked up from the Microsoft Conference is that Resident Evil 5 will be released exclusively on the XBox 360 with the full trailer being released on the marketplace on July 26. Some media are reporting that the game is now an XBox 360 exclusive - but we can tell you that was not even hinted at during the presentation. Until we hear the word "exclusive" consider all reports as being incorret.
Sony has confirmed that a new trailer for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will be shown at E3, and that it will be available on the Playstation Store soon after the event. Those of you without a US Playstation Store account may want to look at getting one set up - who know when, or if, the trailer would ever be released on the European and Australian Store!
MONDAY JULY 9, 2007
Well there were rumours in the last couple of days but it's now official. The PS3 will receive a price cut - in America at least. A expected Sony have confirmed that the 60GB PS3 unit will now sell for $US499, down from the current $US599. But that's not all, if you still want to spend the extra $US100 you can do that too. From August Sony will release a 80GB version of the system which will come bundled with Sony's awesome racer Motorstorm. Apparently Australia and Europe will be hearing about a price cut when Sony hold their conference on Thursday morning.