Playstation 3 in 2005.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Soulhead

Australia
126 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  10:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sony aren't calling it the PS3 yet, but the Financial Times has reported that Sony are aiming to launch the successor to PS2 in 2005. This is much sooner than expected. Sony's president, Kunitake Ando, suggested that the introduction of Xbox has shortened the product lifecycle of the PS2, so their new console will be brought to market sooner. It's based around Sony/IBM/Toshiba's "Cell" microprocessor architecture, reportedly delivering up to 1000 times the power of PS2. Still DVD-based, and compatible with PSone and PS2 software. MicroSoft will likely respond by releasing Xbox 2 ahead of schedule. M$ reps have been quoted as saying "When is the next version of the Xbox? I can't say, but Sony won't get a headstart this time."
On a personal note, I recently attended a Q&A session with John Gaeta (Matrix special effects genius, creator of bullet-time) and he said that aside from Matrix work, the only research and development he's been involved in has been for Sony/PS3! I've seen some real-time Matrix effects running on Sony's GSCube (a graphics workstation with lots of emotion engine chips running parallel) and it was stunning. If PS3 is going to have far more grunt than that, and Sony have been wise enough to get John Gaeta in for R&D, then I'm very confident that Playstation 3 (or whatever they call it) will blow Xbox 2 out of the water.

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2002 :  01:05:02  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a bit early to get hampering on about the 'next' next gen consoles. I remember looking forward to the ps2 when it wasn't going to run vector-based 3d and was going to use some whacky new point-sprite style graphics. But hey, we're still stuck in the land of lines and jaggies. Anyway, it's bound to be 20 kazillion times more powerful than the current gen, so it's gonna be something to look forward to in the next couple of years.

But as for John Gaeta in for R&D at sony... well, If you wanted a console that had bullet-time effects every time you opened the drive that'd be pretty funky... (oh hang on; you want him making the games right!? well, that'd be pretty kewl too :) ).

g
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FutureGamez.net Forum © 2014 Future Gamez Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07