Final Fantasy X
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2002 :  22:09:54  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
This game is finally out and a couple of days early I might add here in the West. I've just spent about the last 5 hours playing it and initial impressions are mixed. Voices are good but shocking acting and delayed comments can make it "corny". What do others think?

J&D Rocks!!

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2002 :  21:43:15  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Why the hell has another must-have title joined the ranks of $110-dollar-games!?! I mean, this is bloody rude as!! - wasn't the gst meant to make stuff like this cheaper? I'm thinking if petrol companies can be taken to court by the ACCC there's no reason why the distributors/retailers (?) can suffer for jacking up the prices for gamers.

...But on the topic of the game, from what I've seen it's very nice. The fmv really hits the spot, and even though the game is getting on a little (it's been out in the states and japan for aaages now), the graphics quality is still very high, especially in the faces. I can't wait to get stuck into this one...

g

Linux. Because rebooting is for adding new hardware
Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2002 :  01:28:41  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Played a bit more today and boy this game has got a lot more than I expected. Things just start to open up and things that look complex to start with make excellent sense. Without spoiling anything, it looks great, feels great and is one awesome title. I expected sweet graphics but the gameplay is the best seen by any Final Fantasy game to date. That might not be saying much but having to put up with silly things in the past was pretty damn annoying. Anyway hurry up ppls and buy this game and yes the price of $110 is RuDe!!
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2002 :  19:07:25  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Unlike previous ffs, this one took a while to get going. The start was pretty slow (and perhaps boring), but 1-2 hours in and the story's got me and I can't get enough. The voice-overs aren't quite as corny as what i was expecting, and it's surprising to see that there are still some 2d backgrounds in the houses (small confined spaces).

While expensive, definitely worth the 110 bucks.

Oh and the bonus dvd - it's almost becoming the norm to whack one of these in with new games these days. I've only had a small peek, but it's well presented and has several trailers, art galleries and previews.

(and how about the sphere grid - talk about massive!)

g

Edited by - chrisg on 19/05/2002 19:10:52
Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2002 :  19:04:09  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
The sphere grid, although complex to look at, is a great new system. The whole idea of switching resting players into battle is great and the battles are so much quicker to deal with. One thing though, there seems to be a lot of boss fights together which make earning potions a must before these fights. Sin is a bloody huge thing!! Anyway how are u going?
Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2002 :  19:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to say that I absolutely love this game.. Expect a review soon, but the score will be pretty high.

As for the price Final Fantasy X's RP is actually $99.95, not $AU109.95 as some places are charging. Although you do get a second DVD which may have pushed up the wholesale price with retailers then passing this onto consumers. Shop around I think I saw it for $88 at K-mart or Target somewhere on the weekend.

David Warner
Future Gamez
http://www.futuregamez.net
Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2002 :  12:40:15  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
No way ... $88. That must be an eastern states thing hey cos over here they luv ripping ppl off. Either that or it costs some extra doh to get it transported to Perth. We have to put up with so much, shops never open and high prices, its ridiculous. Someone has to speak up for those in the west. Anyway, back to the game ...

Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2002 :  13:16:13  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hey i was just wondering if its possible in the game to open up multi-player blitzball mode. More and more games now are coming up with these mini-games which I think are pretty good. But yeah does this mode exist or am I just fantasizing again??
Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2002 :  14:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think that it exists but I certainly haven't unlocked it if it does.. I may be wrong though..

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  18:40:39  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone completed this game yet? It's taking me forever and with exams coming up and so many other games to play. Isn't that a pain!! And another thing, is anyone playing blitzball consistently throughout the game bcos I know I'm not.
Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  20:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same boat. I have exams in the next 2 weeks, but am also battling with my health at the moment. I'm about 10 hours into FFX and am enjoying it quite a bit..

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  16:07:22  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Only 10 hours, WOW! You really have been sick, haha!! Um yeah I'm about 20 hours in and I feel the game has so much more to go. I think I'm about half way but I don't really know. And to think I havent even opened up virtua fighter 4 yet!! I've got a 3 week break coming up and hoping to complete FFX, unlock some stuff on virtua fighter 4 (so much stuff I've heard) and complete Medal of Honour (great game) as well as spending time with my gf!! Its all about priorities, haha!!
Go to Top of Page

ComradeBronx
Average Member

86 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  03:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This game left me feeling bitter and ripped off. The "Sphere system" is the worst thing that could've happened to FFX. Due to above and because the game was so god damned boring for the first hour I promptly got a refund the next day. Square, that was a disgusting effort, to hell with nice graphics if the game completely sucks.

Oh and I know I'm going to get flamed here but I have been a huge Final Fantasy fan and this was just a complete disappointment.

Go to Top of Page

Soulhead

Australia
126 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  11:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd have to disagree with ComradeBronx's opinion. I think the Sphere Grid makes character development much more flexible than in previous FF's. And if you gave up on the game on your first day of play, then you've really missed out. FFX may not be the best FF game ever, but as Square's first leap into the FF series on PS2, it's a very impressive start.

Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  14:04:05  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, uve missed out ComradeBronx. The first hour isn't that flash I admit but thats where things change. The game becomes way more exciting. The sphere grid is always going to get mixed reactions I think bcos its so different but overall I'd have to agree with Soulhead. Not bad for a rookie, haha!
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  17:47:29  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Well, each to their own, but I reckon the sphere grid is pretty good. It's flexible, makes you plan more and think about how to approach leveling up (rather than only repeated battles), and it's, well, good!

And you took the game back after an hours gameplay?! I'm surprised that you were able to use the sphere grid within the first hour, let alone get pissed off with it. Yes, the intro was slow and lacking in the wowie department, but it made the story that much better when it finally did get going and you start to have a vague idea of what's going on (only an hour or two into the game mind you, and i've found that it's just been getting better since).

If you are a big FF fan, just give the game another chance - it's got the FF feel, but takes a little while to get there.

g

Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  08:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yar I'm with the others. Only one hour comeradebronx? That like only 2% of the entire game. Or the opening 2 minutes of a movie... The first part is really only setting up the story as it picks up so much when you hit Spira.
As fot the Sphere system I'm in two minds. On the one hand I would have liked to see the older upgrade system retained. But the sphere works fairly well.
Expect a review soon (and an interview with the developers)

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page

ComradeBronx
Average Member

86 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  21:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admittedly, I disliked the sphere system because it took the laziness out of levelling. I enjoyed the materia system where you level up materia and stuff...but having to go through the damned grid just to get more HP and strength was annoying as hell.

And as far as getting into the game goes I absolutely HATE (and I cannot stress the word enough) the voice acting in the game. I get sick of hearing these pathetic yank voiceovers that portray absolutely NO character emotion. (Eg. Silent Hill2 when you stumble across a dead body the guy says "Who could be doing this?" in an impassive and stupid voice) Although I will admit the voices in FFX are much better than many other games I've played.

Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  23:41:23  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Exams?? Well I've seem to have forgotten how to study. Anyway I've finally completed this game after an all nighter when I was supposed to be studying. Woops!! I won't spoil anything but I've been kinda wondering why no-one's been discussing much about the actual storyline here in the forum? I've said it b4 but Sin is bloody enormous. The final battle scene(s) took me ages but it's so good to finish one of the longest PS2 games to date.
Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2002 :  10:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've no doubts that the game itself will be good, but the downright miserable PAL conversion is seriously dampening my will to persevere and appreciate FFX. Just knowing how inferior this PAL version is technically to its NTSC parent is very distracting to me.

Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2002 :  14:00:19  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
How inferior is it to the 60hz one? I'm also all for whinging about the conversions, but if you don't know what you're missing out on, you ain't missing out! Yes, we're missing 60hz, but how many great games do you know that aren't 60hz? And still, what have we gained with this release? Well, look, there's an extra disc in the gamecase! A making of, extras cd, just for a bit of a (well, it was kinda huge) delay! I'm interested in how our version is inferior to the us one...

g

Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2002 :  14:12:41  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested as well. Still theres the whole issue of quality against problems. I prefer a game that has little to know testing problems than a game that is pretty (the bounce) yet very bad to play!! I feel that FFX plays very well but compared to say cricket2002 (which had quite a few errors) is pretty good. Here's a tip, admire the game for what it is rather than what it could be cos we all know every game could be done better if it had more time but then it would never be released. Two DVD's would have been the way to go for this one but i'm not complaining cos that would have been so much longer of a delay.
Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2002 :  16:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, while the PAL FFX may be the better GAME (it being based on FFX International, extra disc) it is inferior technically if you look at things this way (keep in mind what I write may be considered nit picking).

It has very large borders: Superficial to some and while they don't affect gameplay, the artistic merits of the game are hindered due to the considerable vertical squishing of the screen. The result is that everything you see on screen is slightly out of proportion to how it should be. Spheres become ellipses, etc. Coming from an art background it is annoying. If you bought a painting would your prefer an identical copy or one that is deformed?

60Hz DOES make a difference: Apart from the boost in game speed (30 vs 25fps), the refresh rate is nicer too (60 fields per sec vs 50 = less flicker). Doesn't Tidus' run animation seem like he's running underwater?

So, yes, I am a fussy bastard, but the least Square could've done is make the game proportionately the same as it was initially designed. Not having 60Hz I can accept (MGS2 is a great conversion), but FFX is like a step backward in time to when EVERY PAL game was done this way.

This is not about criticizing a game for what it COULD have been but what it SHOULD have been! Why settle for second best when having the best version is so within our grasp?

Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2002 :  02:07:41  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, you don't need to prove anything to someone who can't even spell the word "no" (know). And the other thing I was referring to was "the bouncer" but yeah graphically I don't like how the objects interacted with each other. So what your saying is that the flickering would be greatly reduced in 60Hz? Does that mean the interaction between objects like Tidus and his sword and other countless examples would be more crisp? I keep saying this but I would love for Konami and Squaresoft to get together for just one game at least.

"I will preview future msgs before posting"
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2002 :  11:37:47  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't have said that these things make the game downright miserable, but if that's stopping you from getting the game, you're the one that's missing out...

g

Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2002 :  19:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, it's like I originally posted; I'm sure the GAME is fine but the CONVERSION is ****E. Also, I did buy the game, but like I said, the crap conversion is a distraction (that's me though, once I get used to the disproportionate character art, I'm sure I'll grow to love it...*grunt*).

A 60Hz option would essentially give you ten more fields per second. Interaction with characters and objects wouldn't change anything except speed of execution.

Just a general comment on crap PAL conversions: if you aren't aware of what you're missing out on things will never change.

Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2002 :  20:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Actually when you look at NTSC games the colouring and resolution are worse then the PAL TV standard giving a lower picture quality. Just look at the graphics differences (speed and border differences aside) between 50Hz and 60Hz on VF4.. PAL certainly looks better. If only it was full screen full speed 50Hz...
But yes Square/Sony not optimising the 50Hz code in FFX is a major downer. They could have at least increased the picture size, I mean most of the backgrounds are static impages and don't have to be rendered in polys..

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2002 :  12:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly! PAL has more vertical resolution so a game actually optimized for PAL TV should look better than NTSC. The fact that Square did NOT optimize the PAL version at all is what gets me annoyed.

Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2002 :  16:37:28  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
This forum is literally on fire. Mainly the same issues that arise though.
Everyone learns from their mistakes and I just hope that FFXI will be a fine example of that in PAL territories. But before that, lets hope Kingdom of Hearts has a full PAL conversion. Any news of this?

Seymour is someone you don't want to mess with. He is one angry fella!
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2002 :  16:56:29  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
>I just hope that FFXI will be a fine example of that in PAL territories

Good luck. It's a prime example of the usual crap we gotta put up with - it's coming out in japan soon (hang on, I think it's out already), in the states late this year/early next year, and we're gonna be seeing it...

...sometime 2004.

Well, once again we'll be screwed about by late releases. And any chance that the code will be optimised for pal? I wouldn't bet anything on it given the odds. Let's just say ffxi would probably be a good excuse to fork out cash for a modchip (hopefully they will have dropped from the USD$90 [no-swap messiah] price tag at the moment).

g

Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2002 :  15:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Everyone learns from their mistakes and I just hope that FFXI will be a fine example of that in PAL territories."

Everyone except Square, Capcom, Namco, etc. In Capcom's case, it is odd. About 99% of all Capcom games made for Dreamcast included a PAL 60Hz option. I don't know of any Capcom PS2 games which have the option let alone a borderless display (although Onimusha 2 is supposedly gonna have a 60hz mode). And Namco, who gave PAL users quite good PS1 conversions, bring out Ridge Racer V for PS2 with borders galore (Tekken Tag wasn't so bad though). How about some consistencey?

Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2002 :  18:23:14  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Ridge Racer V was actually a 'Ned Kelly special-edition' or something, viewed from inside the tin can. Oh and perhaps the two-player mode had the mysterious weather option set to London-pea-souper (mysterious in that nobody knew how to turn it off...).

Well, here's hoping that in their silence re Ridge racer 6, Namco's working on doing a better job.

g

Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2002 :  11:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons for the delay is that they have to convert the PAL version into 5 languages (English, Spanish, French, German and Swahili or something like that).

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Tidus' voice, but remember it's one of Square's first attempts at voices in a game,a nd a huge one at that. At least they have recognised the need for talent and the list in Kingdom Hearts is testamount to that.

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page

Soulhead

Australia
126 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2002 :  10:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Italian would be the fifth language. No doubt it was the multiple translations that really held FFX back, and Square are to be congratulated for making the effort. Having said that, you have to wonder how hard it would have been to get the voice actors to understand the context of their lines in the story. The main reason the voice acting sucks in FFX is because the delivery of the lines seems uninformed. Half the time the actors don't know why they're saying what they're saying. What's my motivation, Squaresoft?

Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2002 :  10:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt that FFX would take this long to arrive here if it was a case of merely adding language support and large borders (couldn't resist!). Keep in mind the PAL FFX is based on FFX International, in which the Japanese version would have been finished first and foremost and then ported over to PAL.

Why do I get the impression Square treats the PAL market like an afterthought?

Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2002 :  09:23:21  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Square treating us like an afterthought? Hold on... don't 99% of game companies treat PAL like an afterthought ;)

(well, at least we get the rally & soccer games early :D )

g

Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2002 :  16:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say it's more like 97.6666%, actually.
heheheh.

Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2002 :  09:40:19  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No I think you have to commend some companies. Ubisoft, being based in Europe, understand our needs, generally release their games here first and almost always include a 60Hz mode.
Electronic Arts, despite what you may think of their yearly updates, usually manage to release within the same week as the rest of the world.
Acclaim put in a 60Hz mode in most of their titles, no matter how bad and how low the sales will be. You have to commend them with that.

It's just a sad fact that 3 of the biggest companies - Square, Capcom and Namco - seem to neglect us. Times are changing though. Onimusha 2 will have a 60Hz mode, Namco will apparently include a 60Hz mode in Tekken 4 - which bodes well for Soul Calibur 2 then...

As for Kingdom Hearts no one knows. But Square have certainly had a big enough backlash from FFX that they will certainly try. But once again the limited space on a DVD (never thought I'd say that) may hinder the inclusion of the 60Hz mode. At least we only have to wait until November-ish to find out.

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2002 :  13:58:19  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
From the sound of things it's again coming down to the fmv... why can't they leave the fmv at 50 fps and give the option for the game to be at 50 or 60 fps...?! I hope when hdtv/digital comes out in the next couple of years we don't have the same video format problems (please tell me that they're gonna be universal without too much pal/ntsc region junk...)

g

Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2002 :  14:02:33  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys. its good to be back again after this damn flu! Dave, are u sure u didn't give it to me?!! haha
Anyway I was just wondering which game do u guys believe will be the first to go 2 to DVD's. I don't mean an extra DVD for the behind the scenes look but 2 DVD's cos the game is too bloody big?!
Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2002 :  22:04:07  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think we'll see 2 DVD games in the near future. I mean there is tonnes of FMV and speech in FFX and it's unlikely that they would basically double that in one game, it would be way too big. You would be sitting there watching hours of movies.

But having said that it's possible. I still remember the days when CD's first came out and games like Microcosm and 7th Guest came out. We could never see the need for the full CD, except these movies, I mean games, almost filled the CD's with FMV for gameplay...

Chrisg, I guess you're right about the 50Hz movies. It possibly could be done although I'm not sure what affect it would have switching from 50 to 60Hz so often. People may see it as a fault as there is a definite graphics difference in look and also ususally a nasty flickering while changing modes on most TV's.

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2002 :  10:21:38  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... didn't think about the whole tv flickering thing... Earlier I was thinking about a way to use the ps2 to 'convert' a 60hz signal to a 50hz one, but given that for the fmv it's essentially 60 pictures that fit into the space of 1 second, it can't really be done (well it could, just with too much screwing about). Perhaps the 50hz users could really get ripped off and have 30 fps fmv (you'd only have to skip every second frame then)...

...naah, that'd be plain old nasty >:)

g

Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2002 :  10:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would much prefer FFX shipping with a 50Hz version on one DVD and 60Hz on the other, instead of getting a "bonus" DVD which is completely devoid of interaction bar selecting menus. It would probably cost less (basically the NTSC code would just need to be bootable on a PAL PS2 for the 60Hz version), and Square could keep releasing crap 50Hz ports for people who don't have the choice of using 60Hz.

Everyone would be happy, nu?

Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2002 :  20:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think that 1 60Hz and 1 50Hz disc would be a good idea. It would be too confusing for the average gamer. I mean I have friends come around and say that 50Hz looks better, which for most people it does, so the addition of a 60Hz mode may only be for the "hardcore" gamers. And the addition of a bonus behind the scenes disc in this DVD age is probably a lot more alluring for many.

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2002 :  10:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see what would be so confusing about having 50Hz & 60Hz versions on separate discs, unless the user was illiterate (in which case they probably wouldn't buy a Final Fantasy game in the first place).

Some may prefer the look of a 50Hz game, but unless it is done properly it is a pointless argument. In games like FFX and the 50Hz mode of VF4, all you are seeing is the NTSC resolution squished vertically giving the impression that it is "higher rez" when it is really the same pixel height simply taking up less space.

The thing is, if companies like Square actually gave us all good PAL versions, then there would be no need for 60hz modes! It just seems to me, with Square's Playstation track record, that they would be better off including 60Hz, because they clearly refuse to give PAL games the attention they deserve.

Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2002 :  14:37:19  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I think the main problem with releasing two discs would be the loss of profit, with casual gamers buying it, using one copy, and then selling the other to a mate or something. After all, what purpose is the 50hz second disc if you've got a 60hz compatible tv? The only way around it would be having to boot from one of the discs (say 50hz), and switching over to the other (60hz) if needed. Then that'd just be more hassle than it's worth (although I have to do that to watch DVD's through my rgb scart lead).

g

Go to Top of Page

agwager
Average Member

Australia
74 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2002 :  16:31:51  Show Profile  Send agwager an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the issue in the first place that there wasn't enough space on the DVD to have both 50Hz and 60Hz so instead of having 2 separate discs (1-50Hz and 1-60Hz) have 2 discs that both have 50Hz and 60Hz modes on them to solve the marketing dispute. How much does an extra blank dvd cost anyway?? And I'm sure the bonus disc with FFX isn't competely used up is it?
Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2002 :  11:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There'd probably more than enough room to fit both 50/60Hz modes on one DVD if they got rid of all the voice overs.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Tidus sounds like a complete tool?

Go to Top of Page

Soulhead

Australia
126 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2002 :  12:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PAL bordering really bugs me in the battles. Surely Square could have moved the battle menu system down into the black space, FFVII-style, so that it doesn't overlap the battle view. The effective screen area to be 3D rendered would not have increased, so it wouldn't be any major drain on the CPU. It would give the impression of a bigger picture for PAL users at no real expense.

Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2004 :  14:07:38  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I thought i may as well throw comments for Final Fantasy X-2 in this thread as well seeing as it's a sequel, but continuation of FFX. Has anyone played this and what are your thoughts.. The review will be up within an hour or so, and I can tell you know, this is a great title.

David Warner
Future Gamez
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FutureGamez.net Forum © 2014 Future Gamez Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07