Splashdown & Wave Rally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2001 :  14:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to www.gamespot.com now! There are a couple of games that have been shown at E3 (guess what they are) that look to be an absolute Godsend for guys like me.
They are both basically Wave Race 64 ripoffs, but on the PS2! Although they're both VERY early in development (tech demos really), so the backgrounds aren't as beautiful as Wave Race, but the water just has to be seen to be believed.
Not only has Splashdown proven that the PS2 can do beautiful water effects, it can create REAL water. Wakes actually ripple from your jet ski when you're riding and WHEN YOU STOP!

Check out the movies and tell us what you think (don't bother looking at the pics, you won't know what I'm really on about).
Let's hope this site has a preview of these games.

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2001 :  19:22:53  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
sounds good-

did you see the rubber-duck-in-the-sink tech demo for the ps2? are the water effects similar to that, or more 'waterlike'? (the tech demo seemed rather 'solid' for water).

i didn't mind waverace, but cos i never had a 64 i didn't really get round to playing it. might be a good game to keep one eye on there outside of the main hyped games.

(and keep those plugs coming... :) )
[url]http://www.plugmysiteforme.com[/url]
*justjokes*

g

'the sharpness is cutting my eyes'
oh, and i'm not plugging this site:
[url]http://www.futuregamez.net[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Phoenix Eternal Ember
Advanced Member

Australia
455 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2001 :  15:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
did you see the rubber-duck-in-the-sink tech demo for the ps2?

I thought that was a DC tech demo? Oh well.

As for the games, they do look good, just everything else doesn't seem to match the quality of the water. Also so far all the water looks almost flat, with only small waves, unlike the large rolling (and crashing) waves in Wave Race

----------------------------------------------------------------
"I was thinking about 'No TV and Beer make Homer' something something."
"'Go crazy'?"
"Don't mind if I do! Arghh, blurbshiba, bluuu"
Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2001 :  11:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said, this was only a VERY early version; it was a TECH DEMO of the game.
I'm having trouble remembering how good the rubber duck demo looked (I remember it being pretty damn sweet), but the simple fact that this water is much more dynamic in appearance, simply because it is set at the beach, not a pond, makes it much more impressive to look at. Yes, I think it does look more like a liquid surface.
Also noteworthy is the fact that you can see the ocean bed and rocks, etc. metres under the water. As far as the size and types of waves, you only see one level on the demo: a sunny island beach on a clear day. I'm sure they will add come more dramatic water environments. Remember that this is basically a rip-off of Wave Race 64 for the PS2, so after copying it so beautifully (and still legaly), it would be a shame if they didn't also copy the variety of water effects. It's a pretty obvious element of the overall game and its gameplay, so all signs point to this being included.

Go to Top of Page

tubenet

46 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2001 :  07:43:50  Show Profile  Visit tubenet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While these PS2 jet ski "rip offs" are coming out, there is no doubting that Wave Race: Blue Storm for the GameCube will once again rule the waves. Can't blame the Splashdown and Wave Rally developers though, WaveRace is still one of the best N64 games ever, and it was released ages ago! I am sure they will be great games though....

[tube.net] bodyboarding
GET PITTED!!!
http://tube-net.virtualave.net/
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2001 :  09:33:28  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
damn, gotta agree with tubenet here-

from what i've seen, wave race:blue storm looks better at this stage, but as you said cbache, the ps2 games are early in development. only prob with wr:bs is that most (all?) of the tracks are simply the same from the original just with better graphics. nostalgic? yes, but i'm sure all those people out there that mastered the n64 version would be looking for something new rather that more of the same.

g

Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2001 :  10:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although we're beginning to head off in the direction of the Game Cube at the moment (I know, I know, we're comparing the games, blah, blah; shut up), I think it's universally relevant to say that seeing the old tracks on a new system. Especially if they had a good thing to begin with. And they certainly had a good thing with the original Wave Race. Just look at how good it was playing on the old great tracks of Gran Turismo with your new cars in Gran Turismo 2. Or seeing the 2D stages of Tekken 3 brought to life in some of the best 3D ever, rendering them barely recognisable. I guarantee with my life they will add new tracks. The game is so early in development now, and they seem to have almost every stage from the original already, there is heaps of time for them to add new ones. I give the same guarantee that they are working on new ones as you read this.

Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2001 :  10:35:11  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
(backflip time)

erm. geez. heck. gotta sorta agree with you there cbache - the whole gt thing and all. they'd still be loopy not to include any new tracks though...

g

Go to Top of Page

tubenet

46 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2001 :  13:19:00  Show Profile  Visit tubenet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey its good to see that someone actually agrees with me in a PS2 forum!!!

Anyways if those two games are anything like Waverace64, they should be great games. I have seen their videos and they do look fantastic!!! And if Waverace Blue Storm is released only with the original tracks from the 64 version, I will be pissed! Nintendo would be stupid not to include new tracks!

[tube.net] bodyboarding
GET PITTED!!!
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2001 :  18:52:04  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
that's your first agreement from me. you now have two agreements left - use them wisely...
(the chrisg in the lamp)

g

Go to Top of Page

neonoone

Australia
237 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2001 :  19:00:12  Show Profile  Send neonoone an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the games, they look great, but im not certain they will do well from the reviews ive seen
___

Cya on the Flipside
Matthew
Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2001 :  10:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the hell are you talking about? Are you a Terminator? Have you seen the future? All three games we have taked about here are still in the first stages of development. They're nowhere near completion. Maybe the word you're looking for is "previews".
Besides, even if all three games were nothing but Waverace 64 with thier current graphics, they'd sell like hotcakes. Look at the success of Waverace 64! Considering how early they all are in development, I don't think it's plausable to have anything but a optomistic attitude on them. Just look at what they've accomplished at such an early stage! This is what the next-gen systems are all about. Fun games with mind-blowing graphics and physics.

Go to Top of Page

Phoenix Eternal Ember
Advanced Member

Australia
455 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2001 :  23:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun games? Where? Where? Man, haven't seen on of them for a while!

Seriously, I don't think you should call them fun games unless you have played them. WaveRace had a magic, the perfect blend of graphics and gameplay, no one had ever seen anything like it and to this day nothing has matched it. Cam, seriously, just because it's on the PS2, doesn't mean it is a good game.

"'Go crazy'?"
Go to Top of Page

tubenet

46 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2001 :  08:14:15  Show Profile  Visit tubenet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with you totally Phoenix, some people get all hyped on the graphics of the PS2, never mind about the gameplay...

Still you gotta be impressed, they copy a game that's over 5 years old and include its near-flawless features such as graphics, gameplay and those awesome water physics.

[tube.net] bodyboarding
GET PITTED!!!
Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  10:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have I entered the realm of the pessimists? What's wrong with you people? Just because it's on the PS2 and has great graphics, doesn't mean you should doubt it before you have anything to doubt. Here are a list of things that look like my own personal definition of fun as far as gaming is concerned (that can be gathered from the 4 videos I've seen):
Large areas that can be explored, without being limited to the track (unlike Waverace);
Some of the most realistic water physics yet;
The ability to do tricks;
The chance to sit there and watch some of the best CG water ever seen.
To me these seem to be some pretty good starting points, considering it's only a tech demo. The only complaint I can come up with at all is that the backgroungs are bland, but this is a TECH DEMO!!! This means preliminary.
Don't get me wrong, they could stuff it up because it is early, but then they could also stuff up MGS2. The only difference here is that one of these already has an established following. The other has to actually try to get our attention.
What's with the doom and gloom attitude that you seem to have had lately? Have you become that jaded that anything other than what you are already familiar with is barely worth your attention?

Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  10:48:00  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
hehehe cbache...

sounds like ssx on water :)
(can't help but plug that game ;) )

g

Go to Top of Page

Phoenix Eternal Ember
Advanced Member

Australia
455 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  11:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see your point cbache, but you can't be an eternal optimist all the time.

But how can you say a fun part of the game is watching the CG water???

Seriously, you are saying you could have fun just sitting there, watching the ski bob in the water???? Man, what do you play games for?!?!

Also, I don't necessarily agree that no track structure is a good thing, depends on how it is done.

"'Go crazy'?"
Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  13:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just like thousands of others and I loved going around smashing bottles in MGSs, or blasting 100m tunnels in walls in Red Faction, or watching Dead or Alive's...
The point is, some of us take pleasure in the smaller things in life. It's that optomistic attitude that helps you enjoy things, not get bored and just enjoy life.

Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  13:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeh. There are specified tracks, it's just that you can venture off of them for quite a ways.

Go to Top of Page

Phoenix Eternal Ember
Advanced Member

Australia
455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2001 :  14:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, cbache, I have to say sorry.

After you showing me that movie of Splashdown, I have to one thing to say....

THAT IS REAL WATER IN THE PS2!!!!!

Seriously, I have never seen water look soooooo good! It bobs and swirls, it ripples and turns. The enitre game looks good, the backgrounds, the rider.

Man, I've got no problem in saying I was wrong, because boy was I wrong. This game (Splashdown) looks unbelievable.

If anyone has a remote interest in seeing the best water in computer history (no exagreation there) download a movie of it now! Oh and the reef under the water... the reef!!!!

"'Go crazy'?"
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2001 :  14:45:54  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
hehehe... a backflip along with a piked half twist right into the splashdown's water effects :). Must be good if you're apologising! I'll have to check it out.

g

Go to Top of Page

Phoenix Eternal Ember
Advanced Member

Australia
455 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2001 :  10:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have to call everything a back flip?

What happened was at first all I had seen is pics, but thought, yeah that's a fair representation of the game. But I was wrong, you reallly need to see the movies before judging this game.

"'Go crazy'?"
Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2001 :  10:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, like I said guys, you cannot have an opinion on this game without seeing it in motion. As I said, the pics just don't do it justice. Go to videogames.com and download all 4 movies, then come back and state a more valid argument. You'll then understand our excitement.
It's easy to be sceptical, because we've all been let down so often, so I understand your doubt. That's why I say go on the Net tonight, set all of the movies downloading, and come back tomorrow. You'll never have spent your account hours better!

________ . .________ . ________
________I .I________ . ________I
I . . . . . . . .________I I________
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2001 :  18:23:36  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote

whoah.

This has to be seen to be believed. Honest.

Apologies for any skeptecism, cbache.

g

Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2001 :  19:36:00  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I've got the review code and have been having a blast for weeks now. Atari Splashdown is simply the best jet ski / Sea-Doo racing game ever, and has the best water ever seen in a video game, including Wave Race. You must read the review and throw your two cents in here now...

David Warner
Future Gamez
http://www.futuregamez.net
Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2001 :  00:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love you, David! You've made me happier than a pervert with a sheep (no offense, Phoenix!)

I've been waiting for this game for so long. It's so good to know I haven't been let down. And hot damn, could they have chosen a better selection of music!? This game's almost too good to be true. Maybe my dreams of punk becoming mainstream in games has finally come true. Now that is definitely too good to be true!

I'll be lining up at the door for this one! Can't wait to take a burn around that arena stage. What an innovative design! Who would've thought of elevated pools linked by ramps? Pure genius...

(Thankyou, Andrew ;)

Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2001 :  17:30:45  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
And the reason you love david is...?

g

Linux. Because rebooting is for adding new hardware
Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1951 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2001 :  08:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Becuase I am a god!!! You should all be on your knees worshipping this post.. ermm actually I'll just be glad if someone reads it

David Warner
Future Gamez
http://www.futuregamez.net
Go to Top of Page

Phoenix Eternal Ember
Advanced Member

Australia
455 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2001 :  14:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez bachey-boy you insult me huh?
Ever heard of the saying: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you?"

You're the one that just delcared his love for the Moderator!

In Tyler we trust.
Go to Top of Page

chrisg
Advanced Member

Australia
836 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2001 :  08:29:03  Show Profile  Send chrisg an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Shotgun best man...

g

Linux. Because rebooting is for adding new hardware
Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2001 :  11:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol :)

Notice, I did kiss your arse at the end of it. At the arse-end of it, no less...

Geez. Kissin' everybody's at the moment. Damn enthusiasm-building games.

And dude, I told you that saying!

Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2001 :  14:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've finally got this little gem in my hot little hands. Holy crap, is this good.

However, I've got to issue a warning:
All of the FMV on my copy is quite glitchy. The audio kind of crackles (for want of a better word). It only happens on the FMV, but on every one I've seen. The Video is fine, just the Audio is glitchy. The in-game audio's fine.

It did exactly the same thing on Phoenix's PS2. I took it in for a replacement, but the replacement did exactly the same thing. I don't know if the delivery truck sat out in the sun for hours, or whether this is another case of MGS2 demo syndrome. Haven't heard any other complaints, but then, it just came out.

Still worth buying for the game, though. Don't let it put you off in any way. And the music rules! Very impressive little number, this one. Oh, yeah, I'll get shot down by someone for not saying this, there aren't many waves. On that note, though, don't get stuck behind a crowd. The wakes are real...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FutureGamez.net Forum © 2014 Future Gamez Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07