MGS3: Snake Eater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2004 :  14:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the Premuim Edition last Wednesday. It`s quite a piece of work (pity the novel is all in kanji. Guess my girlfriend will have to start reading me bedtime stories...).
One thing that strikes you is that it`s set in a jungle, but you`re still stalking corridors. It`s NOT an open jungle. When the areas do open up, the lack of radar unfortunately becomes more apparent. The bird`s-eye view of Snake tends to hide nearby guards who will see you first. You`ll be constantly stopping to use the 1st-person view. It becomes a little annoying. Still, this game has so much in it. You`ll find yourself utilising the camoflage so much you`ll forget you`re still able to just shoot the soldiers. I played for about 2 hours before I remembered I had a gun! Also, you`re given a combat knife this time, so going in with a tranquiliser gun doesn`t necessarily mean you`ll be fearing a waking guard at the least opportune moment.
The music has a strange, oddly satisfying 60`s/70`s spy theme to it. Really grounds you in the period in a fun way.
Graphically, well, why bother even talking about it. You`ve already spent 6 hours watching trailers, right?
Can`t wait for the Aussie release, though. Be nice to completely understand the finer intricacies of the plot. Also yearning to hear the familiar, sweet gruff voice of David Heyter again!

________ . .________ . ________
________I .I________ . ________I
I . . . . . . . .________I I________

Phantom

Australia
1952 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2005 :  20:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well at last the Aussie release is here and I know a lot of the readers of this site have been playing the game. Feel free to share your thoughts. I should have the review up in a day or so, but, somewhat unsurprisingly it will score pretty damn high.

David Warner
Future Gamez
http://www.futuregamez.net
Go to Top of Page

recoba20

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2005 :  12:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the best game on the PS2 hands down. I just finished it on saturday and once its done you just want to pick it up and play it again. Feel free to ask me any questions if anyone is stuck because some parts of the game are quite tricky or they just become damn frustrating (like a certain boss battle) Its better than MGS2 and as good as MGS. The PS2 graphics have really been pushed and the result is stunning.

"What would the robut do? FRAME SOMEONE!!" Dr Zoidberg
"Joe's crematorium, you kill 'em we grill 'em" Bart Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Ghost

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2005 :  17:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have only played the game for a little bit, but i love it. I am just up to the bit before the first boss battle with ocelot. I keep getting attacked though cause i have broke both my silencers. There are some good items near by but i keep getting spotted, any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

recoba20

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2005 :  23:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its easy not too get spotted. You must be having trouble sneaking up on guards. They're not smart so if you can slowly walk up behind them and hold O it should be fine. Are you getting caught in a certain area or just in general? If you're having real trouble just walk out in the open hold O next to a guard and kill him and all the others that come, eventually they will all be gone. You will find some really powerful guns soon anyway.

Go to Top of Page

deadagain
Average Member

56 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2005 :  07:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only gripe is the size of the levels. They seem a bit small, and the immersion is taken away when you are faced with load screens. I can handle it in an obvious "room to room" type game, but when a game is set in an outdoor environment...well.

I hope Konami can get a dynamic loading system working one day. It would add so much to the cinematic experience they are trying to achieve. It's really the only thing they need to work on.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2005 :  10:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Recoba20, i mainly have trouble with the guy standing in front of the first door. I will play again today and see how i go. It would be nice for a wider gameplay area, but i dont think that it hurts the game too much. When the ps3 version hits though, i expect much better camera angles and more open enviroment. Still a great game though. David gave it 94%, i maybe would have gone a point or two lower, due to the annoying codec sections.

Go to Top of Page

Phantom

Australia
1952 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2005 :  11:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Phantom's Homepage  Click to see Phantom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yar a brilliant title, my review is up now, so check it out if you haven't already.. not that you need to know how good the game is!! How many of you have played Snake Vs Monkey yet? Or are you all busy with the main game still?

David Warner
Future Gamez
http://www.futuregamez.net
Go to Top of Page

Ghost

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  10:57:58  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still have not got round to Snake v monkey yet. Only just got past the first boss battle yesterday. I think i have a better understanding of the cqc now, so its all good.

Go to Top of Page

recoba20

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  02:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has anyone had the quick draw with ocelot yet? its v cool. if anyone wants to know how you do it feel free to ask

Go to Top of Page

Ghost

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  13:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah i am just passed the battle with ocelot, how do you get in a duel with him and is it cool, many people have said it is pretty good.

Go to Top of Page

recoba20

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  21:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when fighting ocelot just stand out in the open in the middle of the screen just to the left of the big rock. Before he goes to shoot you a cutscene will appear and you will have a quick draw against him. Best left for when you finish the game and you access the boss battles.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  11:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats right you get a duel mode when you complete the game. I will certainly check that out once i finish the game, thanks for the tip. I finally got around to playing snake v monkey the other day, and it is pretty damn cool. I liked the intro to it, Snake says cant Sam or Gabe do it, very clever shot at the competition.

Go to Top of Page

recoba20

Australia
48 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2005 :  16:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone agree that MGS 3 has the most original, intense and best looking boss fights. I just finished the game again still not understanding the story fully and just admiring how good the game is. I'll now try to pass it on european extreme ARGH!!!!
DUEL MODE ROCKS BIG TIME

Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2005 :  12:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh, heh. I understood very little of the story (in Japanese), but I agree that the boss fights are quite noteable. Particularly The Sorrow &, well, the whole end sequence after the military facility.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2005 :  16:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This game easily has some of the greatest boss battles ever. My fave is the pain, there have been many sniper duels over the years, but none take it to this level.

Go to Top of Page

cbache

Australia
207 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  17:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally forgot! Does the Australian version have Calorie Mate and the pack noodles in the food section? If not, what does it replace them with?
Also, there are Japanese magazines littered about the game. These were ACTUAL magazine covers featuring the game (obviously previews for the game). Are they in the Aus version?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
FutureGamez.net Forum © 2014 Future Gamez Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07