FutureGamez.net Forum
FutureGamez.net Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Sony Console Talk
 Playstation 2
 Sony's VR Headset

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
* HTML is ON
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Soulhead Posted - 31/10/2002 : 08:34:19
So you've probably all seen the pics of Sony's official headset by now, but the question is what apps are in the pipeline to support it?
Today's news item on Namco confirming a new Ace Combat game has my head spinning. Or hopefully it will, when Namco announce that it supports the head-tracking headset!
Sony have said that there's an Ace Combat style flight-sim in the works for the headset, so my guess is that Namco's forthcoming Project Aces title will be it.
My only question is whether the headset supports 3D or not - ie whether the PS2 can feed a different image to each eye simultaneously? Surely this would lower the polygon count as the PS2 would have two render twice as many frames per second. Anyone know any details?

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Soulhead Posted - 07/11/2002 : 07:44:56
I'd settle for one of NASA's VR training headsets. They don't even have screens! They simply scan the images directly onto the back of your retina using lasers. Now that's immersive! (Probably causes blindness with long term use, but what the hey?)

Yeeg-Ptark Posted - 06/11/2002 : 15:45:12
Either way I want one. It's only a few steps away from my dream of jacking into my console and having the action beamed directly onto my brain.

------------------------
The 8 BALL has spoken
Soulhead Posted - 05/11/2002 : 06:59:55
Y-P, headset with motion sensors. Whether or not it will do stereoscopic 3D remains to be seen.

Yeeg-Ptark Posted - 04/11/2002 : 15:07:14
Is this a VR style 3D headset with motion sensors type deal or is this more of a 'TV in glasses to make one huge mother of a viewable screen'?

------------------------
The 8 BALL has spoken
Soulhead Posted - 04/11/2002 : 08:01:47
Sorry. Thought it was old news.
Here's a link:
[url]http://au.playstation.com/technology/virtualrealityheadset.jhtml[/url]
Perhaps the PS2 could render the two different images as seperate fields of the same frame (as each frame is made up of two interlaced fields). The headset could then de-interlace the fields and split them to each eye. This would keep the framerate high, though it would result in decreased horizontal resolution in each eye's image. If the headset had a little processing power of it's own, it could interpolate the scanlines to "fill-in" the gaps (much like a 100Hz TV) so that each eye would apparently see it's own hi-res image.(Apologies for the techie jargon, I used to be a digital video lecturer.)

Edited by - soulhead on 04/11/2002 08:04:55
chrisg Posted - 03/11/2002 : 18:41:56
Wha?! The almighty phantom hasn't heard of it either?

From what i've seen (in *official* ps emails, and I think on the main playstaiton.com.au site too) is that it's just another tv-mounted-on-glasses thing. With headphones of course. But i'm confused as to how it could utilize the ps2's video to do 2 different images; unless it splits the screen image in 2 and combines it or uses something wacky coming out the controller or other ports... My guess is that it outputs a standart video signal, just with an image that is like a split-screen game. THen the headset gizmo combines them to give the 3d illusion. Or something similar.

Wasn't there a big post about 3d headgear and stuff like that back in the early days of this forum? Might be worth searching for (for someone who's got more time than me at the moment... :P ).

g
Phantom Posted - 03/11/2002 : 12:14:58
Well here's a good one I haven't heard of it either.. There is certainly nothing from Sony Australia about it. Links would be nice here as well..

David Warner
Future Gamez
http://www.futuregamez.net
Yeeg-Ptark Posted - 02/11/2002 : 16:14:20
I must be way behind. Haven't even heard of this one. Do you have any links?

------------------------
The 8 BALL has spoken

FutureGamez.net Forum © 2014 Future Gamez Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07